Alfred Hirst founded the Limit watch brand in 1912 where the movement was carried in Switzerland and the watches were assembled in the Oldham headquarters. The first world war caused a switch in normal production where Alfred and his brothers began manufacturing optical instruments. In 1919, when the war was over, a brand new factory was built and the Limit brand became more popular than ever. As the company grew, Limit began manufacturing clocks, watches, jewellery and optical goods while employing over 500 people.
In 1963, the Limit brand was acquired by Time Products (UK) Ltd of London and was later moved to a larger, higher volume factory for production. In 2012, Limit celebrated 100 years of business and soon decided that it was time for a rebrand which was launched in 2016 with a brand new logo that was more recognisable and effective against other watchmakers. The watches now utilise a Japanese high precision quartz movement which provides greater accuracy and carries a two year guarantee for customer peace of mind.